Should I file a new claim or reopen an old claim?

I hurt my back again (or neck, or knee, or....). Should I reopen my old claim or file a new one?

Always do both. File a reopening application for an old claim if the medical condition was previously covered by an old claim, and file a new claim, too. It is not necessary for the new injury to cause a new condition. A new injury can aggravate an old condition.

Many work injuries never totally heal, so it is common for a worker to reinjure his or herself. When this happens, the employer almost never wants the worker to file a new claim. This is part of a major problem called claim suppression.

However, it is ALWAYS best for you to file a new injury claim with the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries if the event at work qualifies as an injury -- basically, you felt some sort of pain in connection with an event, such as lifting something heavy. Even if you do not go to a doctor right away, report it to a supervisor and make sure it is documented, even if all you do is write it down on your own calendar.

You will have one year to file a claim for the new injury.

If you think the medical problem is an old injury that has been flared up, then file a reopening application, too.

Let the Department of Labor and Industries figure out whether the medical condition is due to a new injury or an old one.

Use these links to file a new claim online or to get the form to reopen an old claim:

New claim/online:




“We hired Mr. Kinney to help my husband, Dave Hunt, with his workers compensation case. Mr. Kinney has been very great to us when we failed to argue our case in front of the judge. He represented Dave and he was able to secure his WC benefits and the…”

Read More From Our Clients